Header image Joséphine Marie-Adèle Ouellette  
Birth Announcement Followup  

E-mail Birth Announcement Followup

Subject: Re: It's a baby girl!
Date: July 30, 2006

Hello again,

We'd like to start by thanking everyone for your thoughts, prayers, love, and support for us, and especially for Joséphine. We could not possibly have imagined how supportive everyone would be; we are truly blessed to have such caring family and friends. We'd like to pass along our sincerest thanks to everyone -- you made a great difference in our lives, and in Joséphine's, and we will always remember and treasure this.

It is with very deep sorrow that we bring you the saddest of news: on Friday night (July 28th), around 8pm, Joséphine Marie-Adèle Ouellette left us after a very courageous 17 day battle with her devastating injuries. She died peacefully in our arms, surrounded by our love and prayers; our little angel is now in Heaven. We're sure that she knew how much we, and so many other people, loved her, prayed for her, and cared for her.

Within 24 hours of her birth, we learned that Joséphine had suffered a severe brain injury (due to a lack of oxygen that most likely occurred during the final stages of delivery), and damage to many vital organs, and that there was nothing that could be done medically to heal her. On her second day, we were told that her body was beginning to shut down, that she was dying, and that she likely only had about 12-24 hours to live.

Over the course of the next two weeks, we saw some miraculous improvements in Joséphine. Her body began to recover: her circulation improved, she began to move more and more, she began to breathe on her own well enough that she no longer required a ventilator (using only a nasal CPAP to keep her lungs open), and she was able to be fed her mother's milk through a feeding tube. We will always be thankful for getting these extra two weeks with her, to be able to hold her, to sing to her, and to let her know how much we loved her. We truly believe that all the love and prayers for Joséphine made this possible.

Unfortunately, Thursday afternoon (July 27th), she started to struggle, slowly declined, and passed away Friday night. She spent her last day in our arms, as we took turns rocking and comforting her.

Joséphine was with us for 17 unforgettable days. We were praying for the miracle of her complete recovery, but we know we were granted the miracle of getting to know her, to be with her, and to love her so deeply for these 17 wonderful days. We wouldn't trade this time for anything.

We miss her so much and are very saddened that she is no longer with us, but we are also at peace. Joséphine brought us such peace and serenity whenever we were with her, she deepened our faith, and she touched the lives of so many people. We will never know why she had to leave us so early, but we trust that this is part of God's greater plan.

In our time at the Hospital for Sick Children, we saw a lot of critically ill babies and their overwhelmed families. In Joséphine's memory, we'd like to ask that you include them in your thoughts and prayers.

Andria, Marc, Célia, and Joséphine (who will always be with us)

PS Please visit www.whockey.com/am for upcoming details of the visitations/funeral, and for photos of our beautiful little angel.